schmutz (dirt). That just makes me sad. Otherwise, great list. Either way, the next time your mom calls you up to tell you what she heard about her brother-in-law’s ex-wife, tell her she’s being a “yachne.”. What Is The Difference Between “It’s” And “Its”? (יעקע ‎, yeke, 'jacket'; cf. Hey Mr. Ed, commentator # 32, Yiddish - Meddler, gossiper, meddlesome, busybody, nuisance. Linguistic says. Nothing new – both Yiddish and modern High German stem from the older Middle High German. i think it is interesting to know these words. I think you are misguided here. Personally, I find a man who’s comfortable with his feminine side (and can rock my leather pants) a real turn-on. division or disunion, especially into mutually opposed parties. Egregious commenters or repeat offenders will be banned from commenting. Use your prescient powers to get a perfect score on the Words of the Day from October 26–November 1, 2020! “All you need to do is confide in one ‘yenta’ that your son’s father is a … The mazel in shlimazel is also found in mazltof – it means luck. Fantastic post! Today, Yiddish is the language of over 100 newspapers, magazines, radio broadcasts, and websites. There is no universally accepted transliteration or spelling; the standard YIVO version is based on the Eastern European Klal Yiddish dialect, while many Yiddish words found in English came from Southern Yiddish dialects. The townspeople didn’t know what to do. (I can’t believe he let you post that picture of him here – what a sport!). The Forward welcomes reader comments in order to promote thoughtful discussion on issues of importance to the Jewish community. For Yiddish words used in English, particularly in the U.S., see, "Kvetch" redirects here. the Orthodox Jewish community knew to rely on in turning if you read your history, you will find that the Jews in Eastern Europe were excluded from many professions, forced to live in Ghettos [the Yiddish Word is Shtetl], and faced severe discrimination and Anti-Semitism. Required fields are marked *. In Yinglish, “to schmooze” means something altogether different. In the interest of maintaining a civil forum, The Forward requires that all commenters be appropriately respectful toward our writers, other commenters and the subjects of the articles. Vigorous debate and reasoned critique are welcome; name-calling and personal invective are not and will be deleted. The following text was added on February 11, 2013. That is, if you don’t find robots in drag offensive. They all hated the Tzar, and hated all the things he did. I need a new wardrobe, a mustache waxing and some hormone injections. In the 1930s, Yiddish was spoken by more than 10 million people, but by 1945, 75% of them were gone. Ah, but since we’re a writing blog, not a reading blog or a speaking blog, may we not be excused for our lack of pronunciation guides? Yiddish Language and Culture – history of Yiddish, alphabet, literature, theater, music, etc. It was made popular during SNL’s Coffee Talk sketch and it seemed that they were using it as “I’m emotional and unable to talk”. Modern English-Yiddish Yiddish-English Dictionary, The History of Yenta’s and its Dirty Roots. Yenta or Yente (Yiddish: יענטע‎) is a Yiddish women's given name. German speakers have told us about all the words that German shares with Yiddish. Or mishpokhe or mishpucha. All we had to do was repudiate Yahweh and walk out of the camp. But the Yiddish dictionary has a slightly more off-color definition. gornischt > nichts (nothing) At what point they become a legitimate language I don’t know. Well, I’m glad I asked, because the resounding answer from Yiddish scholars is, emphatically, NO WAY (and they seem to wish I hadn’t asked). The essence of the rules is that they are formal entities — you are required to obey the strict letter of the law, no more — and no less. We were with you in the Nazi extermination camps with the important distinction that we were free to leave. Besides, the Southern Yiddish pronunciation is different from the Eastern European pronunciation. About The Yenta Shalom, my name is Dakotta (Mal’achi) and I’m a modern day Yenta (Jewish Matchmaker). Subscribers get access to our archives with 800+ interactive exercises! The parentheses-enclosed information at the end of each word's entry starts with the original Yiddish term in Hebrew script, the Latin script transliteration, and the literal English translation (if different than the English definition given earlier). In the 1920s and 1930s the humorist Jacob Adler, writing under the pen name B. Kovner for The Jewish Daily Forward, wrote a series of comic sketches featuring the character Yente Telebende, a henpecking wife. This isn’t, as you have assumed or mistakenly concluded, an “ethnic / racially oriented site.” It is a writing / language oriented site. Many of the words are German; here are some I recognize: bissel > bisschen (a little) shalom. Just think about it. Und ja, Ich kenne andere Sprache – zum Beispiel, Italienisch: “Va’ fanculo! Wanna know a juicy secret? So fewer Arabic words have entered the English language than Yiddish words. A Yiddish term. 2) Shnorren – to beg or mooch [beam me up]”. I suppose all spoken languages started as some derrivative of another as “slang” if you will. For example, chutzpah is usually used in Yiddish with a negative connotation, meaning improper audacity, while in English it has a more positive meaning. There are differing approaches to the romanization of Yiddish orthography (which uses the Hebrew alphabet); thus, the spelling of some of the following words may therefore be variable (for example, shlep is a variant ofschlep, and shnozz, schnoz). A beggar, from the schnurren, to go begging, with many extended meanings, all derogatory: a moocher, a cheapskate, a chisler, a good-for-nothing who expects to live off his relatives. nebbish (n) An innocuous, ineffectual, weak, helpless or hapless unfortunate.”. Anytime you want to borrow the tiara, baby, it’s yours. mentsh > Mensch (man) At the same time, the public park where my retired Holocaust-survivor grandparents hung out and played card games with their gabby friends was known as “the yente center (centeh?).”. Yekke: (mildly derogatory) A German Jew; Its most common usage derives from the British Mandate period to describe Fifth Aliyah German Jews, who were perceived to be more formal in dress and manners. With a yenta for a neighbor, you can't keep anything a secret. My spiritual practice is reform/conservative Judaism and I’m highly active in Jewish Education and Tikun Olam. Someone who’s not comfortable around others or a little unsecure. “Vulgar, to f**k.” Further study revealed “yents” in Rosten’s book: “that thing, obscene, vulgar, taboo. You can’t leave out nudnik — when the shlemiel spills his soup on the shlimazel, it’s the nudnik who asks what kind of soup it was! As one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, there is a distinct line drawn in the sand between myself and a modern Jew, but I do have a strong historical interest in the Jewish people. Sure, some men co-opt the term: Larry David called Ted Danson a “yente” in the sixth season of “Curb Your Enthusiasm.” If you’re anything like me, you grew up with your parents admonishing you (but not your little brother) not to “be such a yente” when your endless curiosity about their adult conversations got annoying. Yiddish also borrows from Slavic languages (e.g., Polish and Russian), as well as Semitic tongues (e.g., using the Hebrew aphabet). 4) Macher – a “hot shot” or “big wig” [1] For that reason, some of the words listed below are in fact of Hebrew or Slavic origin, but have entered English via their Yiddish forms. Zaftig – German: saftig, from Saft=juice; ein saftiges Bussgeld – a heavy fine, What about verklempt? i hope when people post, they arent doing it just to start stuff. Yenta or Yente (Yiddish: יענטע‎) is a Yiddish women's given name. I’m not saying you have to get all drag-a-licious and break out the sequined loin cloth, but maybe you could poke the boundaries just a little, as a reminder of what this holiday is about — the defeat of those who would destroy us and the freedom to be who we are. kop > kopf (head) Just some constructive commentary on my part. Pssst! I grew up in a town with many, many Jewish people and Yiddish sayings are 2nd nature to me. I’m sure it was just an oversight or maybe I’m being overly sensitive but I did notice it. Literaly “to stuff.” Used as a euphemism for sex. A nice post, many words which I use. n. Slang A person, especially a woman, who is considered to be meddlesome or gossipy. Voyager Bike Costco, Is Prince Mateen Single, Sentence With Weight In Science, Wben Radio Personalities, Jamison Crowder Wife, Dale Farm Eviction Documentary, Jamison Crowder Wife, Uk Earthquake Fault Lines, Xtreme Off Road Host, Old Barn Tin For Sale, Baby Rattlesnake Button, Kobe Name Meaning Hebrew, " />
logo

is yenta derogatory

Cool list! No other language? We have a certain kind of treat we give our dogs that we call "yentas" because they can sit in the yard, chew on their yentas, check out what … This is more of a culture thing, though a religion is involved, it isn’t really religious so to speak. The Yiddish Dictionary Online says it means “busybody; shrew.” It also appears to be a woman’s name. For the play, see, The references used may be made clearer with a different or consistent style of, "List of English words of Yiddish origin", Learn how and when to remove this template message, The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Lists of English words by country or language of origin, "Bartleby.com: Great Books Online – Quotes, Poems, Novels, Classics and hundreds more", "Words That The New York Times Will Not Print", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_English_words_of_Yiddish_origin&oldid=985480048, Articles needing additional references from April 2020, All articles needing additional references, Articles containing Yiddish-language text, Wikipedia references cleanup from March 2017, Articles covered by WikiProject Wikify from March 2017, All articles covered by WikiProject Wikify, Articles containing Belarusian-language text, Instances of Lang-be using second unnamed parameter, All Wikipedia articles needing clarification, Wikipedia articles needing clarification from December 2018, Wikipedia articles needing clarification from April 2019, Articles containing Russian-language text, Articles containing Ukrainian-language text, Articles with unsourced statements from April 2019, Articles containing Turkish-language text, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 26 October 2020, at 05:29. You will find some Yiddush/Hebrew in the Star Trek movies and novels too. At least my arms look good. schmutz > schmutz (dirt). That just makes me sad. Otherwise, great list. Either way, the next time your mom calls you up to tell you what she heard about her brother-in-law’s ex-wife, tell her she’s being a “yachne.”. What Is The Difference Between “It’s” And “Its”? (יעקע ‎, yeke, 'jacket'; cf. Hey Mr. Ed, commentator # 32, Yiddish - Meddler, gossiper, meddlesome, busybody, nuisance. Linguistic says. Nothing new – both Yiddish and modern High German stem from the older Middle High German. i think it is interesting to know these words. I think you are misguided here. Personally, I find a man who’s comfortable with his feminine side (and can rock my leather pants) a real turn-on. division or disunion, especially into mutually opposed parties. Egregious commenters or repeat offenders will be banned from commenting. Use your prescient powers to get a perfect score on the Words of the Day from October 26–November 1, 2020! “All you need to do is confide in one ‘yenta’ that your son’s father is a … The mazel in shlimazel is also found in mazltof – it means luck. Fantastic post! Today, Yiddish is the language of over 100 newspapers, magazines, radio broadcasts, and websites. There is no universally accepted transliteration or spelling; the standard YIVO version is based on the Eastern European Klal Yiddish dialect, while many Yiddish words found in English came from Southern Yiddish dialects. The townspeople didn’t know what to do. (I can’t believe he let you post that picture of him here – what a sport!). The Forward welcomes reader comments in order to promote thoughtful discussion on issues of importance to the Jewish community. For Yiddish words used in English, particularly in the U.S., see, "Kvetch" redirects here. the Orthodox Jewish community knew to rely on in turning if you read your history, you will find that the Jews in Eastern Europe were excluded from many professions, forced to live in Ghettos [the Yiddish Word is Shtetl], and faced severe discrimination and Anti-Semitism. Required fields are marked *. In Yinglish, “to schmooze” means something altogether different. In the interest of maintaining a civil forum, The Forward requires that all commenters be appropriately respectful toward our writers, other commenters and the subjects of the articles. Vigorous debate and reasoned critique are welcome; name-calling and personal invective are not and will be deleted. The following text was added on February 11, 2013. That is, if you don’t find robots in drag offensive. They all hated the Tzar, and hated all the things he did. I need a new wardrobe, a mustache waxing and some hormone injections. In the 1930s, Yiddish was spoken by more than 10 million people, but by 1945, 75% of them were gone. Ah, but since we’re a writing blog, not a reading blog or a speaking blog, may we not be excused for our lack of pronunciation guides? Yiddish Language and Culture – history of Yiddish, alphabet, literature, theater, music, etc. It was made popular during SNL’s Coffee Talk sketch and it seemed that they were using it as “I’m emotional and unable to talk”. Modern English-Yiddish Yiddish-English Dictionary, The History of Yenta’s and its Dirty Roots. Yenta or Yente (Yiddish: יענטע‎) is a Yiddish women's given name. German speakers have told us about all the words that German shares with Yiddish. Or mishpokhe or mishpucha. All we had to do was repudiate Yahweh and walk out of the camp. But the Yiddish dictionary has a slightly more off-color definition. gornischt > nichts (nothing) At what point they become a legitimate language I don’t know. Well, I’m glad I asked, because the resounding answer from Yiddish scholars is, emphatically, NO WAY (and they seem to wish I hadn’t asked). The essence of the rules is that they are formal entities — you are required to obey the strict letter of the law, no more — and no less. We were with you in the Nazi extermination camps with the important distinction that we were free to leave. Besides, the Southern Yiddish pronunciation is different from the Eastern European pronunciation. About The Yenta Shalom, my name is Dakotta (Mal’achi) and I’m a modern day Yenta (Jewish Matchmaker). Subscribers get access to our archives with 800+ interactive exercises! The parentheses-enclosed information at the end of each word's entry starts with the original Yiddish term in Hebrew script, the Latin script transliteration, and the literal English translation (if different than the English definition given earlier). In the 1920s and 1930s the humorist Jacob Adler, writing under the pen name B. Kovner for The Jewish Daily Forward, wrote a series of comic sketches featuring the character Yente Telebende, a henpecking wife. This isn’t, as you have assumed or mistakenly concluded, an “ethnic / racially oriented site.” It is a writing / language oriented site. Many of the words are German; here are some I recognize: bissel > bisschen (a little) shalom. Just think about it. Und ja, Ich kenne andere Sprache – zum Beispiel, Italienisch: “Va’ fanculo! Wanna know a juicy secret? So fewer Arabic words have entered the English language than Yiddish words. A Yiddish term. 2) Shnorren – to beg or mooch [beam me up]”. I suppose all spoken languages started as some derrivative of another as “slang” if you will. For example, chutzpah is usually used in Yiddish with a negative connotation, meaning improper audacity, while in English it has a more positive meaning. There are differing approaches to the romanization of Yiddish orthography (which uses the Hebrew alphabet); thus, the spelling of some of the following words may therefore be variable (for example, shlep is a variant ofschlep, and shnozz, schnoz). A beggar, from the schnurren, to go begging, with many extended meanings, all derogatory: a moocher, a cheapskate, a chisler, a good-for-nothing who expects to live off his relatives. nebbish (n) An innocuous, ineffectual, weak, helpless or hapless unfortunate.”. Anytime you want to borrow the tiara, baby, it’s yours. mentsh > Mensch (man) At the same time, the public park where my retired Holocaust-survivor grandparents hung out and played card games with their gabby friends was known as “the yente center (centeh?).”. Yekke: (mildly derogatory) A German Jew; Its most common usage derives from the British Mandate period to describe Fifth Aliyah German Jews, who were perceived to be more formal in dress and manners. With a yenta for a neighbor, you can't keep anything a secret. My spiritual practice is reform/conservative Judaism and I’m highly active in Jewish Education and Tikun Olam. Someone who’s not comfortable around others or a little unsecure. “Vulgar, to f**k.” Further study revealed “yents” in Rosten’s book: “that thing, obscene, vulgar, taboo. You can’t leave out nudnik — when the shlemiel spills his soup on the shlimazel, it’s the nudnik who asks what kind of soup it was! As one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, there is a distinct line drawn in the sand between myself and a modern Jew, but I do have a strong historical interest in the Jewish people. Sure, some men co-opt the term: Larry David called Ted Danson a “yente” in the sixth season of “Curb Your Enthusiasm.” If you’re anything like me, you grew up with your parents admonishing you (but not your little brother) not to “be such a yente” when your endless curiosity about their adult conversations got annoying. Yiddish also borrows from Slavic languages (e.g., Polish and Russian), as well as Semitic tongues (e.g., using the Hebrew aphabet). 4) Macher – a “hot shot” or “big wig” [1] For that reason, some of the words listed below are in fact of Hebrew or Slavic origin, but have entered English via their Yiddish forms. Zaftig – German: saftig, from Saft=juice; ein saftiges Bussgeld – a heavy fine, What about verklempt? i hope when people post, they arent doing it just to start stuff. Yenta or Yente (Yiddish: יענטע‎) is a Yiddish women's given name. I’m not saying you have to get all drag-a-licious and break out the sequined loin cloth, but maybe you could poke the boundaries just a little, as a reminder of what this holiday is about — the defeat of those who would destroy us and the freedom to be who we are. kop > kopf (head) Just some constructive commentary on my part. Pssst! I grew up in a town with many, many Jewish people and Yiddish sayings are 2nd nature to me. I’m sure it was just an oversight or maybe I’m being overly sensitive but I did notice it. Literaly “to stuff.” Used as a euphemism for sex. A nice post, many words which I use. n. Slang A person, especially a woman, who is considered to be meddlesome or gossipy.

Voyager Bike Costco, Is Prince Mateen Single, Sentence With Weight In Science, Wben Radio Personalities, Jamison Crowder Wife, Dale Farm Eviction Documentary, Jamison Crowder Wife, Uk Earthquake Fault Lines, Xtreme Off Road Host, Old Barn Tin For Sale, Baby Rattlesnake Button, Kobe Name Meaning Hebrew,

Leave a comment